Featured Post

Hey Follow Me!

So I've come up with a way for you all to see at least some pictures when I don't have enough data to upload pictures. I've reo...

Monday, June 6, 2016

Banyeta Akiiki

“Banyeta Akiiki!” It is such a common phrase for me. Especially with small children who don’t yet understand the rudeness of “Omujungu!”, I take the time to explain, “Banyeta Akiiki. Tibanyeta omujungu. Banyeta oha?” “They call me Akiiki. They don’t call me white (foreigner). Who do they call me?”

Fort Portal is part of the Batooro kingdom. The Banyoro and Batooro are related kingdoms, hence the, linguistically speaking one, language Runyoro-Rutooro. Here in beautiful Midwestern Uganda (I moved from the Midwest of the US to the Midwest of UG, like a cool kid.), your empaako may be more important than your name. It is a sign of respect. There are many people I know at the market only by their empaako. Children call their parents by their empaako instead of by “Maama” or “Taata.” It is 100% polite to respond to “Oraire ota?” or “Osiibire ota?”, “How have you spent the night?” or “How have you spent the day?” with “Empaako?” It’s simply rude to answer someone, and then greet them back, without knowing their empaako.

What is an empaako? I’m glad you asked. First of all, the word “empaako” is both singular and plural, determined by context. Empaako are a very, very important part of Banyoro-Batooro culture, and they are not found in other parts of Uganda, although similar practices, such as clan names, are. Simply translated, empaako are “pet names.” Each one has a meaning behind it, though the meanings can be many, or they can be disputed by the Banyoro-Batooro. My empaako, Akiiki, is a very common empaako, and it means “all welcoming.” Other common empaako include Abwooli, “beautiful, cat,” Ateenyi, “snake spirit,” or Apuuli, “lightning/thunder spirit.” Some empaako are restricted to men, like Apuuli, although men can have any empaako except that of the king, Okaali.

As discussed above, greeting someone “Empaako?” is a very common practice. If you forget to ask someone’s empaako, like a certain American living currently living in Uganda frequently does, your greetings are often repeated. I cannot tell you the number of times I have had the conversation demonstrated below.
“Oliyota?”
“Kurungi. Oliyoto?”
“Kurungi. Empaako yawe?”
“Empaako yange Akiiki. Kandi iwe?”
“Amooti. Oliyota Akiiki?”
“Kurungi Amooti. Oliyota Amooti?”
“Kurungi Akiiki.”

“How are you? (Informal greeting)
“Good. How are you?”
“Good. Your empaako?”
“Mine is Akiiki. And you?”
“Amooti. How are you Akiiki?”
“Good Amooti. How are you Amooti?”
“Good Akiiki.”

For expats living in the Banyoro-Batooro kingdoms, it is a sign we have been here for a while. It is also a sign that we have been accepted by at least one munyoro or mutooro. Like name signs in American Sign Language, only a munyoro or mutooro can give you an empaako. I cannot give another expat an empaako. There are other customs surrounding empaako being given to a munyoro or mutooro, which I encourage you to research. Regardless of whether you are born a munyoro, mutooro, or other nationality, you are supposed to have a party thrown for you by the one who gives you your empaako. For me, it never happened, because I was given my empaako by shop owner in Kyenjojo. His empaako is Adyeri.

For me, my empaako is my identity in Uganda. Even though it has never been made “official,” and some Ugandans tell me I have to have my party before they will call me Akiiki, my name does not matter so much around here. When I go to the market, I introduce myself as Akiiki. I learn the empaako of those who I buy from frequently. Amooti is my favorite. She speaks Rutooro slow enough that I can understand her most of the time. When people call me “omujungu,” it is my first defense. People are much more open to calling me “Akiiki” than hearing they are wrong for calling me what I honestly am. It even works for harassment. When I get called lewd names, I simply tell them, “Banyeta Akiiki. Empaako yawe?” It opens the door for me to begin a relationship, or at least an acquaintanceship, with these people. Yes, they will scream “Akiiki!” at me every time I pass, but at least they are respecting me. (Remember that using someone’s empaako is a sign of respect.) The only problem for me is remembering everyone’s empaako. For example, I have explained to the children in my compound that I do not want to be called “omujungu.” Now the children in my compound have begun to greet me “Ta Akiiki!”, “How are you, Akiiki?!”, and the only response I have is “Muli muta?”, “How are you (all)”? because I have yet to learn each one’s empaako.



For more information about empaako, other naming practices, or the Banyoro and Batooro kingdoms, please visit their websites!

No comments:

Post a Comment