Featured Post

Hey Follow Me!

So I've come up with a way for you all to see at least some pictures when I don't have enough data to upload pictures. I've reo...

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Cold Feet



Well, I leave in ten days. How crazy is that?! Ten is such a tangible number - I mean, I have ten fingers for goodness' sake. I have to admit, I'm kind of starting to get cold feet. I really don't want to leave.

But here's the thing: I'm not getting cold feet about going; I'm getting cold feet about leaving.

This is all I have wanted for my life since I decided to look into it. I truly, truly believe that this is where God has called me to be for the next two years. It is the right step for me, and I am going to help so many people that I would not normally have the opportunity to help.

Except I don't want to leave.

Because here's the other thing: I have never been out of the country. I have never lived outside of Missouri. I have never actually lived on my own (because we all know living in a dorm isn't on your own). I have never been so far away from my family that I seriously can't just come home if I need to. I have never gone so long without seeing my family face-to-face, hugging them, petting my cat.

There's so much about this journey that there's really no way to prepare myself for.

I don't know what it's like not to have running water or electricity. I don't know what it's like to speak a language other than my own more times than not. I don't know what it's like to cram myself into public transport because that's just the way it works. I don't know what it's like to cook on a sigri (charcoal stove).

That's what's exciting though! ...And where my anxiety lies.

So am I ready? I'm beyond ready to go. I am ready to experience a new culture, new way of living, new people, new everything. But I am far from ready to leave everything I know, everything I love, EVERYONE I love behind in order to do it. Regardless of whether I'm ready, though, I am leaving ten days from today. I am getting on a plane to fly to the biggest change in my life. And that is equally exciting and terrifying.

2 comments:

  1. Bethany, as you settle down the whirling world around you and you begin to come to grips with your new world please know that many of us are vicariously with you through your chosen words to relay what you experience, feel, and think. And be careful. You are like a small child at this point as you collect information that will enable you to protect yourself from harm. Life is short. What you are doing is public service to both those you serve and to God, your nation, family, and friends.---Vince Niehaus

    ReplyDelete