Featured Post

Hey Follow Me!

So I've come up with a way for you all to see at least some pictures when I don't have enough data to upload pictures. I've reo...

Monday, August 10, 2015

Privilege(d)

I've just gotten home from camp, and while I was there, I was surrounded by all kinds of "socially conscious" people, as one of them called us. I've been thinking about that social consciousness, and realizing just how much I have grown in the last several years. For one thing, I now realize my privilege.

I am a straight, white, American woman living with a middle class family. Because of this, I have been afforded the opportunity to go to college, expand my world view enough to want to expand it more, and receive the qualifications to be able to follow my dreams for a fairly reasonable price.

In other parts of the world, my privilege is not to be taken for granted. Especially being a female, I am incredibly privileged compared to much of the world.

I have always been one to question my privilege, though. I remember being in 5th or 6th grade and wondering why I was born in the USA instead of Australia or Asia or Africa. Why was I born to these particular parents with grandparents who insisted on taking us on vacations every summer to see the United States? Why are there people who don't have food when I am able to just throw mine away if I so please? Before I even understood what privilege was, I was questioning everything about mine.

If anyone ever questions why I am joining the Peace Corps, it's because this is truly my heart. It's because I love people for simply being people. No other qualifications necessary. It's because, to a degree, I hate that I have all of the privilege to become a doctor (which my pastor's wife is totally rooting for even still), but others in the world are struggling to feed their children. It's because I have the opportunity to turn in my privilege to give someone else a little more privilege than they currently have.

I can't wait for the day when I land in Uganda and turn my privileged life into a privilege-sharing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment