Featured Post

Hey Follow Me!

So I've come up with a way for you all to see at least some pictures when I don't have enough data to upload pictures. I've reo...

Friday, December 25, 2015

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Merry Christmas from Uganda! I have put up posts!!! (I’ll put pictures up when I actually get wifi....)
I have been with my homestay family for a week today, and it’s going well. I absolutely adore language training! I wish we could have it all day instead of having culture sessions in the afternoon. Whoops, there’s my linguistic nerd coming out. The only thing I am really struggling with is getting out of my comfort zone and speaking Runyoro-Rutooro. The people in town are very good about speaking with us when we go for lunch, and I greet nearly everyone I see on the way to and from training.
Yesterday I helped to slaughter our Christmas chicken, and we decorated the living room. The “Christmas season” here is quite a bit shorter than it is at home, especially for me. I’ve been so busy with training, though, I hardly noticed. I just can’t wait for next year when I can start decorating my house WHENEVER I WANT. Maybe I’ll just leave my Christmas decorations up allllllllll year loooonnnnggggg! This morning we went to church and we’ll eat lunch soon, hopefully. I think later we’re going swimming!
As great as Christmas is here, I’m seriously missing home. This is the most homesick I’ve been since getting here, perhaps ever. It helps that since everyone is on break I’ve been able to talk to them more, but it doesn’t cure it. I love what I’m doing here so much, but I wish I had my own TARDIS so I could pop home and then pop back without even being noticed. Maybe my TARDIS would be in the shape of a banana tree. Or a chicken or small child….

From across the Atlantic, I wish you the warmest Christmas you’ve ever had (pun intended for those at home…).





EDIT: I did indeed get to swim, although in a somewhat questionable pool! Then we went to a dance party late into the night. Pictures below!!!



"I have seen they do this in America."











One of my fellow trainee's host cousins took my glasses and looked super cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment