Featured Post

Hey Follow Me!

So I've come up with a way for you all to see at least some pictures when I don't have enough data to upload pictures. I've reo...

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Bye Bye Technical Training!!

I should really be packing right now, but I can’t think about that right now. It is our last day at Shimoni, and as strange as it is, I will miss this place. Our time here has been bittersweet. The beds were not exactly comfortable, many of our meals were late, and the water ran out most days, but the hospitality of Shimoni was undeniable. More than once, I had things carried for me, small things like my water bottle. Throughout, I was called madam, Teacher, or Tutor. I never once felt disrespected or unsafe. I have gotten to know so many students in such a short time. My 50+ students have absolutely stolen my heart.

The first week of bootcamp was intense. I was constantly being critiqued for things I simply didn’t know. It’s not like those giving feedback were trying to be mean, but it is hard to constantly hear all the things you’re doing wrong. It was difficult to get to know the students at first, and I was having serious problems understanding their Ugandlish. My lessons were absolutely not what I wanted to be teaching. But somehow I made it through with a positive view of my experience to come. Without the first week, I would not have been able to build the relationships that were so important to my overall experience.

The second week we taught content instead of literacy. Of course, all of our lessons had to include literacy, but since I will be teaching science and ICT, these lessons were much more aligned with what I’m going to be doing. We had more freedom in how we were teaching. Also, we really got to learn about the students, their dreams, and most of all, their senses of humor. For example, I tried to make a joke that I weigh 1, 000, 000 kg, and I was the only one laughing…. Live and learn, right?


Now we are getting ready to move into homestay. I am so excited to be learning the language!! My only worry is that I’m going to have a hard time being away from the people I have gotten so close to….

No comments:

Post a Comment