Featured Post

Hey Follow Me!

So I've come up with a way for you all to see at least some pictures when I don't have enough data to upload pictures. I've reo...

Friday, March 11, 2016

Horns, Blinkers, and…Windshield Wipers?!

I know I have posted more than once about transportation here in Uganda, but it still baffles me. Today I have a slightly different view on it.

Different cultures use things like hand gestures different ways. For example, in the way we wave to small children in the US is very, very similar to the way Ugandans tell their small children (and big children...) to come here. The full version of this gesture involves taking your hand from an open palm, facing the recipient of the gesture, closing your four fingers down so that your hand is essentially folded in half, and repeating this several times. See the resemblance?

Well driving “gestures” are used differently here in Uganda as well. I am still trying to figure out if my observations are correct, so this post may end up edited in the future, but here’s what I have as of now.

Horns: Around the world, horns are commonly used as a way to send messages to other drivers, typically “Get out of the way!” In most of rural America, horns are used sparingly. In more densely populated areas, horns are used more often, though when in a traffic jam, they are mostly a sign of frustration. For me, I tend only to use my horn when either someone is not paying attention at a stoplight that has turned green or when someone has endangered my life, and I need to tell them I didn’t appreciate it. In most of the US, a driver who uses their horn is rude. In Uganda, though, a driver who uses their horn is a responsible, courteous one. Blaring your horn is incredibly common, and it means a few things. If you are in the way of the driver, it means “Get out of the way!” If you are not, it means “I see you; stay there.” I got very used to having horns honked at me walking back from language training each day. I had to walk a good kilometer along the main road between Kyenjojo and Fort Portal. Once you got out of town, drivers really started to speed up, and their horn usage increased as well. I always made sure to walk as far away from the road as possible, but they would still honk at me just to let me know they are coming. (Now, what this system does for Deaf individuals, I don’t know….)

Blinkers: Drivers in the US, Missouri especially, seem confused as to what “turn signal lights” are. I, however, had a father who would not let me get my license without knowing how to properly use them, and thus I use them anally, even though he doesn’t even always use them properly. In Uganda, though, blinkers are…different. I am still fairly confused on this one, but I’m going to state my current theory. First of all, Ugandans tend to be very good at using their signal lights. They flip them on far too early for my taste, but the other drivers seem to know perfectly when they are going to turn. There is another use for blinkers, though, of which I am still fairly perplexed. Keep in mind that Ugandans drive on the left side of the road. While driving, occasionally drivers will flip their right turn signals on when approaching a vehicle in the other lane. This seems to occur more when it is getting dark, is dark, or is raining. It almost always happens when someone is over the middle line, then accompanied by a honk. I believe this is a way of saying either “Get over; you’re too close to me,” or “The edge of my vehicle is here, so don’t hit me.” This is the only sense I can make of it, since very few roads outside of towns have street lights.

Headlights: In the US, flashing your headlights at someone means one of three things: there is something to be aware of up ahead, “Turn your headlights on,” or “Turn off your brights!!” In Uganda, though, headlights are a form of greeting other vehicles. It still makes me wonder what is ahead to be warry of when I am in a taxi (in full daylight), and we meet a car which flashes their headlights. This is usually accompanied by a huge wave, and sometimes it is even followed by greetings being yelled out the window.

Windshield wipers: Well, these are pretty much the same. The only thing to note here is that it’s one of the few things that drivers will keep in fairly good condition, considering the rain and the dust.


So there you have it! The “gestures” of driving in Uganda. Soon you’ll be able to get your license and drive me all around the country! :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment