Featured Post

Hey Follow Me!

So I've come up with a way for you all to see at least some pictures when I don't have enough data to upload pictures. I've reo...

Monday, November 21, 2016

Ugandlish 2.0

THIS IS MY 100TH BLOG POST GUYSSSSSS!!!

One of the posts I hear about all the time is my Ugandlish post (Ugandlish). This was absolutely one of my favorite posts
s to write, and I've been collect other phrases to help you learn Ugandlish before you come to visit me. Or, you know, when I come home for Christmas and you have no idea what I'm meaning to say. :)

Let me find my phone there = I'm leaving my phone there on purpose, watch my phone
Let me find you there = I'll meet you there
Produce children = Have children
Urinate = Pee
Defecate = Poop
Yes Madam = Greeting, Hello Madam
Extend = Scoot, move
Add = Give me more, especially for food or shopping
Smart = Well dressed
Intelligent = Intelligent, smart
Stubborn = Difficult, especially used when a child is difficult to deal with, but it doesn't literally mean stubborn
Yellows = In the US we would just call them bananas, but here there are several types of bananas. Specifically, they are bagoya, sweet bananas.
You (command) = You is used in front of commands not as emphasis but just as normal speech
Have done, said, etc. = At least in the West, the present perfect is used instead of the simple past.
I have lost my what what? = I have lost my... Uhh... Uhhhhhhh..... What is used as a filler.
Mingle posho/mingling stick = Ugandans use mingle instead of mix, and it makes me laugh every time because I picture posho (maize flour and water) mingling with finger foods and drinks and all dressed up. Haha!
Program = schedule
Way forward = next step
Share out = Share with the class or group
Move there = Go there, used when you are going a short distance, not when moving to another place.
Move out = Go outside the room you're currently in to do something like use the restroom. You never ask to make a short call specifically, you ask to move out.
Shift there = Move there
Isn't it?, Not so? = Tag questions, used like Yeah? or Okay? at the end of sentences
These silly children = Children are strange,
I don't know how I can.... = I don't think I can...
May you please grab me some? = Please will you grab me some?
Disturb = Bother

1 comment:

  1. So I've lost my what what instead of my whachamacallit? ;-)

    Let me know if my what what shows up...

    I could like this :-)

    ReplyDelete