Featured Post

Hey Follow Me!

So I've come up with a way for you all to see at least some pictures when I don't have enough data to upload pictures. I've reo...

Saturday, June 11, 2016

New Blog Authors!!

I recently watched this AMAZING TED Talk by a Nigerian woman named Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It talked of how a single story is harmful. Specifically, she gave many examples from her own life of how the Western world’s single story of “the country of Africa” is harmful to the entire continent. Please, please, take the 20 minutes to watch this discussion. It may very well change your view on the world.


One of my favorite quotes from this video is this: “The problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete.” Our stereotypes of “poor Africa” are incomplete. It is exactly 1/3 of my job to bring Uganda back home to America, to show the wonderful people of my beautiful country the amazing truth of Uganda, the truth behind the lives of the people here. Unfortunately, I am not necessarily the best person to do that. As much as my worldview has changed in the last seven months, being abroad will never, no matter how long I am away, completely strip away my America-colored glasses.

Thanks to a wonderful presentation by our Diversity Committee at IST, I have adopted an idea. I want to host guest authors on my blog. I am going to give the students and staff of my college the opportunity to tell you all what Uganda is like, from their own perspective. Before I do this, though, I want some information from you. What questions do you have about Uganda, about Africa? (Also, for my international readers, please don’t think this is limited to those in America.) Do you want to know what their daily lives are like? What about their cultures interests you? The possibilities are endless. Even if you have political questions, you’re welcome to ask them. I am unlikely to post them publicly, but I will gladly email the answers to you.


So post below or email me at bethanyinuganda@gmail.com if you would like to submit questions, and soon I will open up my blog to my students and colleagues! 

No comments:

Post a Comment